The library began, in 1958, as a volunteer undertaking linked with the Arts and Crafts Association in the Town of Baie-D'Urfé. Originally it had two separate divisions; one for children and one for adults, even having separate opening times. It was housed in very cramped and inadequate conditions in the old Barn and Coop area of the Town.
The amalgamation of the two original divisions occurred in 1971, and the link with the Arts & Crafts Association was broken in 1973. The Library then became a separate institution and has remained so until the present time.